|Richard Rouse (1774-1852)|
Richard Rouse (of Rouse Hill) was the supervisor of the lumberyard, and was in charge of all government works in the Parramatta district. When James Gough arrived at the Parramatta Lumberyard 200 years ago, in early 1815, there were 100 men listed working there. He was one of six men in the team of carpenters, and was one of the two joiners. Extensive renovations were underway at Government House and two new wings were being added to the original building, to provide a more comfortable residence for Governor Lachlan Macquarie and his family.
(Photos of the interior of Government House and full details of the work undertaken by Gough and his team, are all included in the James Gough book)